Saturday, October 16, 2010

So I never did get too be a rock star!

My favourite age was seventeen. I remember thinking how I had so many years of adventures ahead of me. By then I had realised there was no way I was going to make it in school, and to be honest, after my first job I realised there was no way I was going to make it at work either. So I looked at the alternatives, and actually I did have a few scary months before I fully accepted that I had no other choice but to follow Timothy Leary's advice - 'Turn on, tune in, and drop out'.

And then, almost before I knew it, I had some kids and had to feed them. That didn't go so well for me, moneymaking not being my strongest suit. My first go at family life ended in a messy disaster, but second time around I did better, possibly because my new wife knew how to make a few bob, although I liked to think it was because we loved each other.

Then my kids left home. Suddenly I had all this time to do what I wanted to do. I quickly got used to pleasing myself all day long. I acheived a few things too, for what's that's worth. I learnt a few skills and wrote a few books.

Then suddenly the next age was upon me. This is where I am now - it's called the 'sit around and relax' phase, or as my wife fondly refers to it, 'the lazy fucking bastard' phase. 'Shall I write another book - nah, fuck that. Shall I work in the garden - nah, fuck that! Shall I ride my horse - nah, fuck that! Ah I know, let's see if there's a western on the telly'.

And what's up ahead - well, nothing guaranteed of course, but I reckon it could be something along the lines of more of the same if I'm lucky, or if not, possibly a slow or fast decline back from whence I came.

Thanks for my life so far. I have loved the whole concept of it, and sure, I know I got lucky. Really, looking back, even the bad bits were interesting too.

6 comments:

  1. It’s The Freakin’ Green Elf Shorts Caption Competition over at Donn’s blog!

    So get up off yer arse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In plain English: you're experienced now!
    It was time, wasn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now seriously,

    Not everybody is content with their lives. Some people have the feeling they have failed -but as I've read today, 95% of our sorrows come from ourselves-.

    Glad to see that you're happily enjoying the 'sit and relax' stage, not only on the weekends I hope ;)

    PS.- Please, please please change my link in the blogroll: I don't live in blogger anymore, but in Wordpress Street... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I was 17...I was still in school and hating it. I would say I want to go back to being 17 but I would be lying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought if you wanted to be a rock'n'roll star you just had to get yourself an electric guitar and take some time and learn how to play?

    ReplyDelete
  6. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Professional trading signals sent to your cell phone daily.

    Start following our signals today and gain up to 270% daily.

    ReplyDelete